As smartphones have become an inherent part of our lives, people no longer use their phones just for communication. Instead, they store most of their sensitive information on their phones.
But, in this era of data leaks and constant threats to your privacy, is it safe to store your private data on your phone? Well, not unless you safeguard it with some robust mobile security apps.
So, we have picked a list of the best free Android antivirus apps for 2019 that are available in the Google Play Store. Just in case, if you want you can also go through our list of best antivirus software if you’re a desktop user (Windows or Mac).
Note: This list of Android security apps isn’t in order of preference, and is only a compilation. You are advised to choose one as per your needs.
11 Best Android Antivirus Apps for 2019
- Avast Mobile Security
- BitDefender Antivirus Free
- Norton Security & Antivirus
- AVG Antivirus
- Sophos Mobile Security
- Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus
- Security Master
- McAfee Mobile Security & Lock
- DFNDR Security
- Avira Antivirus Security
- 360 Security
1. Avast Mobile Security
Avast protects a lot of users worldwide on multiple platforms and right now it’s the top-rated Android malware scanner according to AV-Test. With a single tap, the antivirus engine scans for any dangerous or infected apps and trojans, and provides complete protection against spyware and viruses.
It has some in-app purchases with which you can remove ads and access the app locking facility, along with some other advanced features like SIM security, camera trap, etc.
However, the free version of Avast for Android integrates some incredible features for providing all-around protection against viruses and other threats that can affect your smartphone. With all these fantastic features, Avast Mobile security is a worthy contender for the best free antivirus for Android.
Special Features Of Avast Mobile Security
- App insights for viewing the time you are spending on each app
- Junk cleaner for wiping cache and residual files
- Photo vault for securing photographs against unwanted access
- Web shield for safe web browsing
2. Bitdefender Antivirus Free
Bitdefender Antivirus Free is a powerful antivirus tool that offers protection against all major Android threats. It is one of the most lightweight antivirus apps that uses in-the-cloud scanning technology that results in super-fast scanning ability. The result, it does not slow down your device or drain your battery. What makes it BitDefender a worthy contender for the best Android security app also offers real-time protection and scans apps as they are installed.
Bitdefender also has a paid version (Bitdefender Mobile Security & Antivirus), which gives you 14 days free trial. To access more advanced features of Bitdefender such as Malware scanner, account privacy, web security, Anti-theft, and App locker, you can try out the paid version.
Special Features Of Bitdefender Antivirus
- Integrated VPN for accessing blocked websites
- Smart unlock for unlocking apps when connected to a trusted Wi-fi.
- Web protection for scanning adware, malware during browsing
- Support for Android Wear devices
3. Norton Security & Antivirus
The latest version of Norton antivirus software offers impressive Android security features even in the free version. The app mostly provides 100% detection rate and removes malware, spyware, or Android viruses that can slow down your device. It can trigger an alarm to find your missing device, remotely lock your device to prevent data theft, or block unwanted calls or SMS.
It also has separate stand-alone apps such as app locker and password manager that are available for free in the Play Store. The advanced premium features are available for a trial period of 30 days. Overall, Norton Security is no doubt one of the most reliable apps when considering the best antivirus for Android in 2019.
Special Features Of Norton Security and Antivirus
- Wi-Fi scanning to notify you about unsecured connections
- Safe Search for flagging unsafe websites during browsing
- Call blocking for muting spam and unwanted calls
- Sneak Peek to click photographs of someone accessing your device without authority
4. AVG AntiVirus
AVG AntiVirus is a robust antivirus software tool, developed by AVG Technologies which is a subsidiary of Avast software. It features most of the standard functions necessary in modern anti-virus and internet security programs such as periodic scans, Wi-Fi security, junk cleaner, ram booster, call blocker, power saver, etc.
Some highly useful features of this Android antivirus app are only available for a trial period of 14 days. AVG also has a few add-on apps such as AVG Cleaner, AVG secure VPN, Alarm Clock Xtreme, and Gallery app available in the Play Store for free.
Special Features Of AVG AntiVirus
- Dual-engine antivirus for removing viruses and other malicious content
- Performance-boosting feature for extending battery life
- Photo vault for locking photographs
- Surveillance agent for remotely capturing photos and record audio from phone via the website
5. Sophos Mobile Security
In the past, Sophos has been a winner of the AV-TEST awards – an Independent IT-Security Institute. It is an excellent free security app for Android, which does not display any ads aand is feature-rich.
In addition to proper malware protection, you can have access to features like loss and theft protection, app locker, security adviser that gives you advice on how to improve device security, call blocker, authenticator, etc.
The antivirus app has more than 1 million downloads on the Play Store and does the job of protection against malware, viruses, and trojans that could hamper the performance of your smartphone.
Special Features Of Sophos
- Web filtering for blocking malicious websites
- Feature to protect apps with a passcode
- Wi-Fi security to protect you from snooping by middlemen
- Call protection for blocking spam calls
6. Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus
Kaspersky is a remarkable security app and one of the best antivirus apps for Android. It has a free version with in-app premium feature purchases and a paid version. The free version features manual scanning of apps for malware and viruses.
And it’s premium version features include real-time protection, anti-theft, anti-phishing, and an app locker to provide extra protection to your essential apps. However, you can access all the premium features for a free trial for 30 days.
Special Features Of Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus
- Call filter for blocking unwanted and spam calls
- Find my phone for locating your phone if lost
- Background apps check for checking malware in downloaded apps
- Strong protection against viruses, trojans, and malware
7. Security Master
Security Master is the upgraded version of the original CM Security app for Android. It is an all-in-one antivirus app to use in 2019 that has a considerable number of downloads along with good ratings in the Play Store.
It keeps your phone safe from all sorts of malware and makes sure that no viruses get into your phone. The free version itself brings you tons of great security features such as app locker, scanner, message security, Wi-Fi security, junk cleaner, notification cleaner, phone booster, CPU cooler, battery saver, call blocker, etc.
Along with these, it also enables you to browse any of your favorite sites such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. safely from within the app. Security Master is an excellent security app that can be listed among the best free android antivirus apps.
Special Features Of Security Master
- Safeconnect VPN for accessing websites that are blocked in your region
- Anti-theft alarm
- Message security for hiding notification previews
- Intruder selfie for capturing intruders
8. McAfee Mobile Security & Lock
McAfee has won many notable awards since its release. Most of the advanced features such as anti-theft features, security lock, Wi-Fi security, battery optimizer, memory cleaner, etc. are available in the free version of the Android antivirus app.
It has an intuitive interface, and the best thing is that it provides tutorials for every feature. The pro version, however, comes down to only a few extra features, and it is expensive compared to most Antivirus apps.
One of the flaws in the app is that it carries a complicated setup once you opt for the pro version. Nevertheless, the app is one of the best antivirus apps for Android when it comes to protecting your smartphone.
Special Features Of McAfee Mobile Security
- Thief cam for capturing the photographs of intruders
- Feature to remotely wipe data in case of theft or loss of mobile phone
- Anti-theft uninstall protection to stop a thief from uninstalling the antivirus app
- Support for Android Wear devices
9. DFNDR Security
DFNDR is one such free antivirus for Android that keeps your smartphone’s performance optimized. The AV-TEST Institute named it a top-rated antivirus app. It is an all-in-one phone protection app along with features for anti-hacking and anti-phishing. It can also speed up your internet connection by closing background apps that compete for bandwidth. However, the downside is that it displays ads which can be annoying, but you can go ad-free with a small amount of yearly subscription.
Special Features Of DFNDR Security
- Anti-hacking and anti-phishing protection feature
- Quick cleanup to remove junk files and cache
- AppLock to lock apps with passcode and fingerprint technology
- DFNDR assistant for sending you regular updates about utilizing antivirus to its full extent
10. Avira Antivirus Security
Avira Antivirus is a lesser-known Android malware scanner which is equally reliable like its other competitors on the list. It is fully-featured, and most of its functions are available in the free version itself.
In the case of antivirus and privacy protection, it can even scan external storage media and show how each app rates on a privacy scale. With the ‘cell phone tracker,’ it can track your phone’s location whenever necessary.
Also, if you ever lose your phone, it can prompt the person who has your phone to contact you. With the premium version, you can get extra protection such as camera protection, additional browser security, etc. These features can be easily bought from the in-app purchases of the app.
Special Features Of Avira Antivirus Security
- Privacy advisor for showing how apps collect your data
- Camera and Mic protection for security against snooping attacks
- Ant-ransomware for protection from ransomware attacks
- Web-based malware protection
11. 360 Security
360 Security is another pick for the best antivirus for Android list in 2019. This app gives you many reasons for why it should be a must-have app on your phone. Major features include antivirus protection, junk cleaner, speed booster, lock screen which has multiple functions, CPU cooler, anti-theft protection, etc.
In addition to real-time protection, it has a multi-function lock screen for providing your phone status directly to your smartphone’s lock screen The antivirus app is free with in-app purchases and displays ads.
Special Features Of 360 Security
- Speed booster for cleaning up phone’s RAM and boosting gaming experience
- Call & SMS filter
- Intruder selfie for capturing the picture of anyone trying to break into your phone
So, guys, these were our picks for the 11 Best Android antivirus apps. Did you find these helpful? Don’t forget to share your thoughts if you think we missed out on any mobile security apps.
Also Read: 10 Best Websites To Download Paid PC Games For Free And Legally in 2019